Because the warfare enters its 636th day, these are the primary developments.
Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, November 21, 2023.
- Ukraine mentioned combating intensified across the Russian-occupied japanese city of Bakhmut. Volodymyr Fityo, a spokesperson for Ukrainian floor forces, mentioned Russia was focusing its assaults on Klishchiivka, a close-by village that was retaken by Ukrainian forces in September. “Eleven assaults have been repelled previously 24 hours,” he mentioned. “The enemy is making an attempt to dislodge our males from defensive positions round Klishchiivka.” Russia’s defence ministry mentioned it had crushed again greater than 30 Ukrainian assaults in and round Bakhmut previously week.
- Ukrainian authorities mentioned three folks had been killed and one injured in Russian shelling within the southern Kherson and the central Dnipropetrovsk areas. Some energy strains and a fuel pipeline had been additionally broken.
- Ukrainian police mentioned a soldier and a lady died when a grenade exploded in a Kyiv house. The reason for the blast, which injured a second man, was not instantly clear.
- The US State Division mentioned it was barring Russian Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov and Russian Guard Corporal Daniil Frolkin from getting into the US over their alleged involvement in human rights violations within the Ukrainian city of Andriivka.
Politics and diplomacy
- Ukraine fired its two high cyber-defence officers – Yury Shchyhol, head of the State Particular Communications Service of Ukraine, and his deputy Victor Zhora – amid an ongoing investigation into corruption over software program purchases.
- Fox Corp Chief Government Lachlan Murdoch travelled to Kyiv the place he met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukraine mentioned the assembly was a “essential sign” of help at a time when the Israel-Gaza warfare has diverted world consideration from the warfare in Ukraine. Zelenskyy mentioned Fox Information journalist Benjamin Corridor, who was badly wounded overlaying the battle final 12 months, and Jerome Starkey, a journalist with the UK tabloid The Solar had been additionally on the assembly.
- In an interview with The Solar that was additionally printed within the UK’s Instances newspaper, which is a part of the identical media group, Zelenskyy accused Russia of making an attempt to stoke stress from the Balkans to the Center East. “Ukraine as we speak [is] within the centre of those world dangers of this Third World Struggle,” Zelenskyy mentioned. Urging Ukraine’s allies to keep up their navy help, he acknowledged the dearth of progress on some elements of the battlefield, however famous successes within the Black Sea. “We actually deployed a part of the Russian fleet,” he told the paper. “We did it.”
- Russia positioned Ukrainian singer Jamala, who gained the 2016 Eurovision Tune Contest, on its wished listing. The impartial Russian information web site Mediazona mentioned Jamala, whose actual identify is Susana Jamaladinova, had been charged underneath a regulation that bans spreading pretend details about the Russian navy and the warfare in Ukraine. Jamala, a Crimean Tatar, has lengthy been a critic of Russia and advised Zelenskyy final 12 months that her precedence was to “remind that foreigners got here to my home to kill and mutilate life, to destroy and rewrite my tradition”. She responded to the Russian arrest warrant on Instagram with a facepalm emoji.
- A Japanese delegation led by senior business and overseas ministry officers and together with enterprise representatives visited Ukraine for talks forward of subsequent 12 months’s Ukraine Restoration Convention, which might be hosted by Japan.
- US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin made an unannounced go to to Kyiv and unveiled a further $100m package deal to supply artillery munitions, interceptors for air defence and anti-tank weaponry. Austin promised Zelenskyy that US help can be for the “lengthy haul”. He additionally met with Defence Minister Rustem Umerov.